How can product leaders apply a practical perspective to product? In this episode of Product Talk with Kaboo Founder Neha Shah, Meta Product Lead Neha Bansal speaks on her career journey from management consulting to product management at Google and Meta. She shares how she gained experience in different disciplines like engineering, marketing, and design to become a strong product manager. The discussion also covers important product topics like establishing product-market fit and how the same principles can apply at both startups and large companies.
- Pursue your passions even if it means going against the expectations of others.
- Gain exposure to different fields like engineering, marketing, and design to strengthen PM skills.
- Internships can help you discover what you’re truly interested in.
- Product-market fit is achieved with returning users.
- Start with a niche focus to prove product-market fit before expanding.
- Prioritization is important even at large companies with many resources.
- Spending time with customers is crucial for PMs to understand problems.
- The same PMF principles apply to new products at startups and large companies.
- Find ways to balance multiple priorities like work, family, and side projects.
- Set clear goals and block out dedicated time to achieve them.
- Storytelling can be an impactful way to build relationships.
- Practice vulnerability to build trust and closer connections.
- Share your humanity to help others through difficult times.
- Focus on building community through thoughtful relationships.
- Embrace who you are to become more resilient and brave.
- Prioritize meaningful work that creates value for others.
- Mentorship can guide startups in the right direction.
- Find a fulfilling side passion project.
- Social media focuses too much on highlights and not realities.
- Remember our shared humanity in both personal and professional life.
About the speaker
Neha Bansal is a seasoned product management leader with over a decade of experience in building performance measurement products for digital marketing advertisers. She currently leads Meta Ads Manager, responsible for driving 90% of Meta's revenue. Prior to Meta, Neha made significant contributions at Google, where she played a key role in developing renowned products like Google Analytics, Brand Lift, Search Lift, Conversion Lift, and B2B Shopping Ads. With an MBA from Columbia University and a bachelors in Economics and Statistics, Neha also provided consultancy to Fortune 500 banks on digital transformation. Outside work, she invests in start-ups, mentors founders, and writes children's books.
About the host
My experience covers the trifecta of B2B Product Management, Sales, and Marketing. I also co-founded a B2C startup focused on family and education technology. I believe technology can be a creative and powerful driving force for change, and am passionate about building products that improve every day experiences.