How can global product leaders approach diversity, equality, and inclusion? In this episode of Product Talk with Bose Senior Product Director Melissa Pickering, Trackunit Senior Product Lead Zeina Moawad speaks on DEI in global product management. Zeina discusses her global career experience and how it has shaped her views on DEI. The conversation explores examples of initiatives that companies have taken toward DEI that have been effective as well as areas for improvement. Zeina provides recommendations on how product managers can approach their work with more awareness of inclusivity.
- DEI is important personally to Zeina due to her multiple identities.
- Companies need to go beyond performative actions and implement systemic changes for DEI.
- Focusing support on one marginalized group over others can isolate others.
- Education around DEI needs to avoid a “bad vs good” approach.
- Product design should consider all customer personas.
- There is a business case for inclusive products by accessing new markets.
- Inclusive products improve the full customer experience and journey.
- Lack of inclusion can lead to loss of customers to competitors.
- Transparency around workforce demographics and pay gaps is important.
- Senior leadership accountability and budget are needed to effectively implement DEI initiatives.
- Small inclusive design features can make a big difference.
- Inclusive sizing and designs are needed across industries.
- Understanding different cultural contexts is important for global products.
- Being curious and avoiding biases are important skills for product managers.
- Stepping outside your bubble can provide new inspiration.
- Resources on designing inclusively and understanding biases are helpful.
- Practicing inclusive language should be a daily habit.
- Believing in what you’re building is important for motivation.
- The book “Invisible Women” highlights everyday exclusions of women.
- Community platforms can help companies access more diverse talent pipelines.
About the speaker
An exceptional senior level product & project manager with 10+ years of successful experience in delivering digital platforms and other change management projects in highly complex & global environments with equally diverse stakeholder groups at all levels of seniority. Key achievements include design & implementation of the build, and launch of a partner portal for channel partners; successful delivery of a pilot app in under six months that became the framework for the publicly launched app
About the host
I'm a purpose-driven change agent with a track record of building & leading cross-functional teams to develop & launch products for kids. From Disney Imagineering, to EdTech startup founder, to product innovation at The LEGO Group, I have spent over a decade building and leading product teams to innovate kids' play and learning experiences. Most recently, I have joined another purpose-driven mission at Willow Innovations to bring more joy to motherhood, building products to make moms' lives easier.