How can curiosity and adaptability drive success in product careers? In this podcast, Jonathan Ozeran meets with BCG X Product Lead Anne Jiao to discuss her inspiring journey in the product space. From her background in the entertainment industry to founding her own startup, Anne discusses how she leverages diverse skills in marketing, graphic design, and product management to excel in product development. She sheds light on approaching new challenges, using analytics for insights, and the rewards of helping clients succeed.
- Anne Jiao is a lead product manager at BCG X.
- She started her career at Creative Artists Agency in LA, focusing on film initially.
- Later, Anne moved back to Cleveland to work on her startup called “Dollop,” a remote gifting app.
- She drew inspiration from her entertainment industry experience and storytelling to shape her product development journey.
- Anne’s background in marketing, graphic design, and product management provides a well-rounded perspective in product development.
- She uses analytics tools like Google Analytics, Mixpanel, and Amplitude to gain insights into user behavior and improve product performance.
- Anne worked on “Make an Offer,” an e-commerce product aimed at increasing engagement and conversion rates through special offers on luxury products.
- This exposure has given her valuable insights into different markets and product development approaches.
- Anne’s journey demonstrates how her unconventional path and diverse skills contribute to her success as a product manager.
- Leveraging internal resources like knowledge bases and subject matter experts helps ramp up knowledge in new industries or challenges.
- Using LinkedIn and specialized platforms like userinterviews.com and GLG allows connection with relevant experts.
- Anne shares a product failure experience with her startup, leading to valuable lessons in refining the product based on customer feedback.
- Following curiosity in one’s career can lead to unexpected opportunities and growth.
- Consulting environments can present challenges in handing off products, but Anne finds fulfillment in seeing clients succeed.
- She takes on a training and educational role to support clients’ capabilities during transitions.
- Anne highlights climate change as a critical problem to address and expresses interest in improving patient journeys in healthcare.
- Anne’s willingness to adapt and excel in different industries showcases her versatility as a product manager.
- Her diverse skill set allows her to approach challenges with creativity and curiosity.
About the speaker
Anne is currently a lead product manager at BCG X, where she has launched products from 0 to 1 for various fortune 500 companies in fintech, healthtech and logistics. She has a passion for building products that create impact for the end user and end customer, teaming agilely across multiple cohorts, and leading product strategy creation.
About the host
Jonathan is a product and operations leader, company builder, investor and advisor. He has assembled, scaled and led product, design, software engineering, hardware engineering and machine learning teams across numerous financing stages (pre-seed through Series G).