What do product leaders need to consider when building an ESG data management platform? In this episode of the Product Awards Series with Nacho Andrade, Novisto Product VP Lauren Katz discusses her journey building an environmental, social, and governance (ESG) data management platform. She shares insights into entering an emerging field with immature roles and processes, capturing granular yet diverse ESG data, maintaining enthusiasm through challenges, and leveraging life experiences and customer service skills in product management.
- ESG data management software helps companies track environmental, social, and governance metrics.
- ESG is an emerging field without standardized roles or processes yet.
- Capturing granular ESG data allows for improved reporting and analysis.
- Specialization in product is increasing both vertically and horizontally.
- Diversity of backgrounds in product is valuable for bringing different perspectives.
- Trust but verify is an effective product management approach.
- Constantly testing assumptions and verifying understanding is important.
- Empowering and mentoring team members allows them to contribute independently.
- Challenging direct reports helps ensure thorough understanding of the product.
- Maintaining enthusiasm and excitement about the product benefits engagement.
- Focusing on small wins prevents burnout from lack of visible progress.
- Psychological safety and outlets for expression support well-being.
- Relentless conviction in the product vision despite challenges is important.
- Internal subject matter experts accelerate feedback loops for emerging domains.
- Storytelling and confidence help overcome challenges of physical stature.
- Life experiences like sailing provide a broad worldview and adaptability.
- Customer service skills like difficult conversations are valuable for product.
- Recognizing accomplishments prevents the job from feeling thankless.
- Passion outside of work maintains positivity and energy on the job.
About the speaker
Lauren Katz comes to Novisto with two decades of experience in SaaS software in both product and customer success. Prior to joining Novisto, Lauren served as a Product Director at AlayaCare, a cloud-based home health care software. She not only has an impressive history in the data and product industry, but she is also a mother, a fitness instructor, and sailed around the world on a ship when she was 17. Lauren brings her expertise in managing platforms and product teams to Novisto, where she coordinates and manages product functionalities to deliver best-in-class technology solutions that meet customer needs. She is also skilled at leading and building big teams. She consistently proves herself to be a strong leader and teacher. Among her expertise, she holds a degree in hospitality and tourism, yet impressively holds no formal training for her title at Novisto. She made it to her current position through experience and dedication to learning as she goes.
About the host
Nacho is an Evangelist for all things product, advocating for innovation, diversity, and building amazing products. Nacho has spent over 10 years in product roles ranging from startups to enterprise in industries like education, healthcare, finance and gaming.