This is episode 12 of the 2023 Product Awards Series, hosted by Ubiety Technologies CPO Nacho Andrade. In this episode featuring Dasera CEO Ani Chaudhuri, the focus is on securing data and its growing significance in a data-driven world. Dasera specializes in automating security and governance controls for databases, data lakes, and data warehouses, both on-premises and in the cloud. The conversation explores the expanding data security market, the impact of AI on business, the role of diversity in leadership, the value of customer insights from sales teams, and the crucial partnership with venture capitalists. Ani also delves into the importance of creating a culture that embraces learning from mistakes and emphasizes the character and connectivity of a successful company. Listen up!
- Dasera is a data security company automating security and governance controls for databases, data lakes, and data warehouses on-premises or in the cloud.
- Their unique approach also includes data usage analysis, providing insights into how data is used beyond infrastructure and access control.
- Data usage analogy: Data security is like lending a car. You give access (keys), but you don’t know how it’s being driven (data usage).
- The podcast also discusses how the data security market is growing as more companies use data for decision-making. And AI leads to more data collection.
- Breach insight: Despite the same number of breaches in 2021 and 2022, 43% more data was breached in the latter. This indicates hackers’ increasing efficiency.
- AI’s impact on the business: AI will significantly change the world. But the real transformation comes after initial hype as serious players enter the market.
- Additionally, Diversity in leadership (head of product and head of engineering are women) enhances product perspectives. Encourages input from various teams.
- Sales and sales engineering teams are invaluable sources of customer insights, contributing around 50% of feature ideas.
- VCs play a crucial role in a company’s growth. Different stages require different types of investors who can provide expertise and guidance.
- VC relationships are essential; they ask tough questions, but their support and advice can prevent costly mistakes in the market.
- Ani Chaudhuri additionally compares data security to layers of home security, highlighting the importance of specialized tools and layers of protection.
- Data security combines data and security, with the rising significance of protecting data discussed at the board level.
- A culture of learning from mistakes and forgiving oneself for them is essential for growth and innovation.
- The character of a company, its product, and the ability to connect dots are crucial factors for success.
- Finding the right people involves assessing culture fit, foundational knowledge, and a learning mindset.
- Success comes from creating an environment where team members accept mistakes but don’t repeat them.
- A leader’s role is to provide teams with the courage to forgive themselves for mistakes and learn from them.
- Excellence thrives in the gray zone, where collective decisions and individual contributions intertwine.
- Ani Chaudhuri encourages everyone to pursue personal passions and take time for themselves, emphasizing self-care as a valuable “product.”
- He offers his email address for those interested in connecting or learning more about his experiences.
About the speaker
About the host
Nacho is an Evangelist for all things product, advocating for innovation, diversity, and building amazing products. Nacho has spent over 10 years in product roles ranging from startups to enterprise in industries like education, healthcare, finance and gaming.