What makes a great healthcare product? In this episode of the Product Leaders to Watch Series with Cognizant Product Director Chenny Solaiyappan, WellB Founder Zachary Fleming shares his perspective. As a member of the Products That Count 2024 Product Awards Advisory Board, Zachary talks about building digital and the criteria the board will use to select award winners. He emphasizes outcome-focused design, emerging technologies, and human-centered solutions that create value beyond just introducing new tools.
- Zachary Fleming has experience building digital health products and is now CPO at Dawn Health and CEO of WellB.
- He is interested in seeing healthcare products that leverage emerging technologies like AI and ML to create unique value.
- Human-centered design is important, especially in healthcare where products need to consider diverse user groups and behaviors.
- Products should aim to improve health outcomes and lower costs, not just introduce new tools.
- Experience is important for driving engagement with healthcare products.
- Different product manager personas exist, and it’s important to identify your strengths and learn new skills.
- Asking questions, collaborating with others, and getting hands-on experience are important for growth as a product manager.
- The 2024 Product Awards Board will consider a wide range of industries and how products address important trends.
- Healthcare is a large and growing industry with opportunities to innovate using new technologies.
- Delivering value and measuring outcomes are priorities in the transition to value-based care models.
- Adolescent mental health is an important area that needs more solutions.
- WellB connects people to top wellness creators and guides wellbeing journeys.
- Healthcare innovation is happening across multiple sectors such as pharma, insurance, and hospitals.
- Tools alone don’t make people healthier – experiences and behavior change are important.
- Different generations have different needs that products must account for.
- App fatigue is a challenge – solutions need to provide sustained value over time.
- Healthcare jargon and complexity can create barriers for users.
- Incentives may be needed to boost app downloads and continued usage.
- Asking developers questions helps product managers understand technical aspects.
- Constant learning and challenging oneself is important for growth.
About the speaker
Zac is a growth driver with a passion to create innovation within healthcare. With over a decade on the leading edge of digital health, he brings his experience across start-ups to Fortune 30 corporations to help companies transform to make healthcare the way we all wish it would be. He casts bold visions that are grounded in proven strategies to help product-led companies exceed their growth, EBITDA and experience goals. He is the Founding CEO of WellB.
About the host
Chenny Solaiyappan is the Director of Product Management for Cognizant Trizetto's Government and Quality Solutions, and a founding member of the ClaimSphere suite of products, encompassing quality, HEDIS ®, CMS Stars, and clinical solutions. An accomplished Intrapreneur and Lean Startup Practitioner, he plays a pivotal role in shaping the overall product strategy and serves as the HL7 DaVinci Business Co-chair. With a notable track record, Chenny has provided consultancy to over 30 health plans across the nation, consistently raising Quality and Star ratings in Medicaid, Medicare, Federal Employees Health Plan, and Commercial health plan sectors, collectively supporting 30 million lives. His outstanding leadership and innovative contributions have earned him prestigious awards, including the 2023 Top 20 Global Product Manager Award by Products That Count, as well as the 2021 and 2019 Product of the Year awards by Cognizant Trizetto.