Product Management can be pretty daunting. Some have described it like being a mini-CEO. Your product will succeed or fail based on decisions you make.
In addition, you’ve got to broker compromises with Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Sales Enablement, Legal, and complementary products within your company, and Customers, Partners, Press, and Analysts outside of your company.
You need to be both a visionary and an evangelist, painting the product vision and getting buy-in from cross-functional organizations that don’t report to you
Given all that, why would anyone take a Product job?
Because it is one of the most exciting roles available. Chief Product Officers (CPO) are now part of the C-Suite, transforming the culture of their companies to be product-led. Market-leading organizations are already over 2x more likely to involve the Product team in strategy decisions. You, the Product Manager, play a key role in that transformation.
In addition, your work will make a bottom-line difference to your customers, your company, and partners. You’re not like George Jetson, pushing a big red button not knowing whether it matters. Growth occurs as a result of the ideas YOU champion and drive to fruition.
With such pressure, it is no surprise that
- Over half of Product Managers are new to their role and feel overwhelmed by their responsibilities.
- 4 of 10 Product Managers say they frequently experience “Imposter Syndrome”.
- 3 of 4 Product Managers see getting more skills and certifications as key to progression of their careers.
You don’t need to navigate the Product path alone. The Product Manager page has outstanding resources from experienced Product executives to help you succeed as a Product Manager and great build products that people can’t put down. Here are several to get you started:
Starting as a Product Manager
Next Stop: Product Leader
- The Product Management Journey
- Building A Product Career
- The Trajectory of a PM Career
- Career Development in the Product World
- Paving a Career in Product Management
- 5 Lessons to Fast Track your Career
- Product Career: Building Your Technical Skill
- Developing a Product Career
- Extreme Ownership as a PM
- Success as a PM
- Top 10 Blogs Every Product Manager Should Read (2021 list)
- Top Books Every Product Manager Should Read (2021)
- Top Books Every Product Manager Should Read (2022)
- Top Speaker Series Videos Every PM Should Watch
- Top Resources for Product Managers by 5 Product Leaders
- 3 Ingredients of Awesome PMs
- Soft Skills Every Product Manager Needs
- 5 Soft Skills Every Product Manager Needs
- T-Shaped Skills
- Understanding Product Management Frameworks
- Perspective on Product Management by 5 Product Gurus
Being a Successful Product Manager
- The Most Powerful Question in Product Management: Why
- Resilience as a Product Manager
- Product Design Meets Product Management
- Driving Product Velocity
- A Guide To Managing Your Product Portfolio
- Take A Product Portfolio View For Maximum Value Proposition
- Product Portfolio Management
Best Practices, Processes & Methodologies
Designing, Building, and Launching Great Products
Products That Count has many great resources for Product Managers and Product Owners like you. Click the link to access over 100 podcasts, videos, blogs, articles, eBooks, and infographics on the topic of Best Practices of a Great Product Manager.
Something missing? Contact us at [email protected].
Does your Product team need help becoming great?
Personalized Mentorship will turn your Product team into a competitive advantage so you can win as a market leader. This paid offering will
- offer guidance to transform your company to be Product-Led,
- provide continuous PM training and ongoing mentoring to level-up your Product team,
- train PMs and PLs that are new to their roles,
- help executives establish consistency and structure in the midst of Product Team restructuring, growth, and M&A activities,
- share best practices for product management and leadership.
Click the green “Live Chat” button to the right to talk with a Products That Count staff member about the Strategic PM Bootcamp and Personalized Mentoring for your Product Team.