Product Management can be pretty daunting. Some have described it like being a mini-CEO. Your product will succeed or fail based on decisions you make.
In addition, you’ve got to broker compromises with Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Sales Enablement, Legal, and complementary products within your company, and Customers, Partners, Press, and Analysts outside of your company.
You need to be both a visionary and an evangelist, painting the product vision and getting buy-in from cross-functional organizations that don’t report to you
Given all that, why would anyone take a Product job?
Because it is one of the most exciting roles available. Chief Product Officers (CPO) are now part of the C-Suite, transforming the culture of their companies to be product-led. Market-leading organizations are already over 2x more likely to involve the Product team in strategy decisions. You, the Product Manager, play a key role in that transformation.
In addition, your work will make a bottom-line difference to your customers, your company, and partners. You’re not like George Jetson, pushing a big red button not knowing whether it matters. Growth occurs as a result of the ideas YOU champion and drive to fruition.
With such pressure, it is no surprise that
- Over half of Product Managers are new to their role and feel overwhelmed by their responsibilities.
- 4 of 10 Product Managers say they frequently experience “Imposter Syndrome”.
- 3 of 4 Product Managers see getting more skills and certifications as key to progression of their careers.
You don’t need to navigate the Product path alone. The Product Manager page has outstanding resources from experienced Product executives to help you succeed as a Product Manager and great build products that people can’t put down. Here are several to get you started:
- Top Resources for Product Managers by 5 Product Leaders
- Top 10 Blogs Every Product Manager Should Read (2021 list)
- Top Books Every Product Manager Should Read (2021)
- Top Books Every Product Manager Should Read (2022)
- Top Speaker Series Videos Every PM Should Watch
- 3 Ingredients of Awesome PMs
- Soft Skills Every Product Manager Needs
- 5 Soft Skills Every Product Manager Needs
- T-Shaped Skills
- Understanding Product Management Frameworks
- The First 90 Days as a Product Manager
- Three Tips for Succeeding in Product Management at a Startup
- The Product Manager’s Toolbox
- Schedule Yourself for Success: Tips for the Modern PM
- The Most Powerful Question in Product Management: Why
- Resilience as a Product Manager
- Being a Generalist or a Specialist
- The Case for Generalist PMs
On being a Product Manager
- Perspective on Product Management by 5 Product Gurus
- The Product Management Journey
- Building A Product Career
- The Trajectory of a PM Career
- Career Development in the Product World
- Product Design Meets Product Management
- Paving a Career in Product Management
- Career Roadmap
- 5 Lessons to Fast Track your Career
- Treat your PM Career as a Product
- Product Career: Building Your Technical Skills
- Building Your Product Career
Products That Count has many great resources for Product Managers and Product Owners like you. Click the link to access over 100 podcasts, videos, blogs, articles, eBooks, and infographics on the topic of Best Practices of a Great Product Manager.
Something missing? Contact us at [email protected].